Thursday, August 07, 2008

What Does Your Browser Tell About Your Gender?

This guy who blogs on advertising created a clever piece of JavaScript that analyzes your browser history against the Quantcast Top 10K websites demographic information, and calculates an estimate as to your gender based on the websites you visit. Several of my favorite bloggers have been trying it out, so I had to give a spin. The theory being that if you visit sites more frequented by men than women, you're more likely to be male. The JavaScript is clever (it can't directly access your browser history, but it creates a virtual webpage with links to all the top 10k sites, runs it by your browser, and observes which links get colored the "visited" color), and the statistical calculation is sound enough, but the results can vary. While my husband was pretty evenly split (52% male / 48% female), I'm apparently a much more girly browser. I was pegged as:
Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 65%
Likelihood of you being MALE is 35%
What went into the result was a bit surprising. While Google is close to neutral, AOL is female (0.82 male/female ratio). On my male side, Blogger is slightly male (1.06), Flickr a bit more so (1.15), the LA Times is quite male (1.3), and Fry's is a manly 1.6. What pulled me to the female was LinkedIn -- at 0.94, I guess women network more -- and with Southwest.com and hotwire.com at 0.77, I guess women do more travel planning. And with ancestry.com at 0.67, it seems genealogy is very girly. (Fortunately, Mike hasn't done the age demographic calculations yet, as I expect the genealogy puts me in older company too.)

Try it out yourself here.

No comments: